This Quick Tandoori Chicken relies on a marinade to impart lots of flavor, but the actual cooking time in your oven broiler is under ten minutes.
Every week I make a million pieces of grilled chicken. The first night my family enjoys it in a proper dinner, with complementary side dishes. Later in the week, we throw them into lunches, or sandwiches for a quick meal. Tired of the same old food routine, I decided to swap out the usual spice mixture and go for something a little more exotic with an Indian inspiration.
This Quick Tandoori Chicken relies on a marinade to impart lots of flavor, but the actual cooking time in your oven broiler is under ten minutes. The Mango Cucumber Salad comes together nearly as quickly. Basmati rice with chopped cashew nuts makes another good side here if you want to stretch this meal for a few more people.
This recipe is easily doubled if you are a fan of leftovers, like we are. The chicken is stellar chopped up in a grain bowl or stuffed into a warm piece of naan.
Quick Tandoori Chicken with Mango Cucumber Salad
For the salad:
1 hothouse cucumber, chopped
1 mango, peeled and chopped
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint*
*mint tends to get unappealingly dark soon after cutting, so try to chop this delicate herb and add it to the salad at the very last minute for the prettiest results
For the chicken:
2 pounds thinly sliced, boneless chicken breasts
1 7-ounce container plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
nonstick cooking spray
- Place the yogurt, turmeric, coriander, paprika, cumin, cardamom, ginger, and honey in a medium bowl. Use a rasp grater to zest the lime and add that to the yogurt and spices. Whisk well.
- Add the chicken to the yogurt marinade, and make sure that the chicken is well coated. Cover and refrigerate, at least one hour, or up to five.
- Meanwhile, assemble the salad. Combine all ingredients and toss well.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator thirty minutes before cooking. Remove the chicken from marinade.
- Preheat your broiler to high, and set the broiler tray in the oven. When it is piping hot, spray the broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Then carefully add the chicken in a single layer on the broiler pan.
- Broil the chicken for about four minutes per side, until it is starting to brown, and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Place the chicken on a platter and squeeze the lime over it. Salt to taste.
- Serve the chicken hot or warm with a healthy serving of mango cucumber salad.
This recipe will yield about five servings.